Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hurrays and Hurrahs for Painted Lady Caterpillars!


I just went over to look my butterfly eggs and they weren't butterfly eggs anymore! They were caterpillars! Each caterpillar is only about 1/16 of an inch long! They are really active youngsters, always looking for something to eat. I went down the hill and got them a great big thistle leaf, about 14 inches long. Mama got them some mallow leaves. Each leaf is about one inch across. We will see which leaf they prefer. This is the beginning of the second generation of butterflies. April 29 is our caterpillars birthday. Hurray! They have hatched! Pretty soon we will have some new butterflies. I can't believe that they can get so big. Right now they are so tiny!This is a picture of a caterpillar next to an egg. Click on the pictures to see them enlarged.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I luv butterflies