Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Dandelion that Turned Too Many Pages

Mama is hosting a Wildflowers in Winter theme on her blog. I have written a story so that I can participate too. I hope you like it! You can see what others are posting by taking a look at her blog.

The Dandelion that Turned Too Many Pages
By Forest Zoo

Once upon a time there was a dandelion. On New Year’s Morning the little dandelion realized that it was the first of January. So he walked over to his calendar and turned what he thought was a page. Soon he decided to take a nap. He was supposed to take a nap for a few months, but said to himself, “I don’t want to sleep for that long. I want to take a nap for one or two days instead.’

So he snuggled down in his downy pillow. In a few days he woke up and looked at his calendar. He said, “That’s odd. It says it is May. “

His best friend, Billy the Busy Honey Bee, turned the pages of his calendar every month through out spring, hoping that Dandelion would bloom when he saw the page that said May. He bloomed only when the pages said April, May, June, or July. If they didn’t say that, he just went to sleep, until they did say that again.

But when he woke from his nap, the calendar did say May, so he decided to bloom. He said to himself that he must have taken a lot longer nap then he thought he would. So he sent up his lovely yellow flower, Then he noticed that none of his dandelion friends were blooming. He said, “That’s odd, because they usually bloom at the same time. He didn’t see Billy the Honey Bee flying around. He felt the air temperature. It was way colder then it was supposed to be in May. He thought that it might have been an extra long winter and that it hadn’t warmed up yet. Maybe Billy was somewhere else today. But Billy had hundreds of more friends. At least one was flying around in April and May searching for fruit tree blossoms, or dandelions. He scratched his head.
“HMM. That’s odd.” He had never not seen Billy the Bee out, and he had lived for at least five years. He was one of the oldest Dandelions around. He was much older then all the bees in the whole hive.

Before long he felt something oh, so very cold on his bright yellow blossom. He shivered. He shivered again. Right away another fluffy white cold thing land on his blossom. Then another and another followed. They kept falling and falling out of the sky. He wondered what was wrong. Everything was different. Before long everything was white and oh, oh, so cold. He was shivering , shaking and shivering his dandelion teeth. He was now starting to be afraid. He wonder what was happening. He had never experienced this before. He was dumbfounded and didn’t know what to do. He knew that he didn’t get help soon, he was going to die.

“What was that?” It looked something like his friend the fly. He lived up in the sky. The fly looked down at the poor little dandelion. “Why are you out now. It is January 3. It is too cold for flowers. Why don’t you go back to bed and wait for spring?”

But the flower protested. “But my calendar says it is May. Oh, I remember, it was New Year’s Day. Maybe I turned too many pages. Maybe I should go back to bed.

So he went back to bed and slept until Billy the Bee came and turned the page to April, and woke him up.

The End.

9 comments:

Silly Goose said...

What a wonderful story! You have a great imagination so I hope you continue to write many more.

La Tea Dah said...

What an interesting story. I enjoyed it very much and hope you write more that you can share with us here on your blog.

LaTeaDah

Anonymous said...

Delightful! Do you know I saw a little yellow dandelion blooming not too many days ago? I plucked it and stuck it in my hat, but by the time I got back to my office, it had fallen along the wayside.

Molly said...

You have personified Dandelions perfectly because they do indeed bloom on slightly warm winter days. Nice job...very creative.

Teresa said...

Nice Job Forrest! It reminds me of a Winnie the Pooh story. You are very descriptive and creative in your writing. I enjoyed your story.
Love,
Auntie T

ellen b. said...

What a great story. I enjoyed reading about the Dandelion. I hope you continue to enjoy writing for many years to come...

Anonymous said...

YOu Write a lot better than me forest!!

Love Emily Rose

Pamela said...

Now you must illustrate this in book form. I can't wait to see your pictures.

Shady Gardener said...

Do you know what the word personification means? This is a great word that I taught my second-graders. You can learn it, too! When you wrote your story about a dandilion, you made it act like a person. It could move, and think, and talk like a person. You used personification when you wrote about your dandilion. (Do you see the word "person" at the beginning of the word personification?)
I had fun reading your story. Nice work. :-)